The group overshot Monterey in the fog and when they reached modern-day Pacifica, ascended Sweeney Ridge and saw the San Francisco Bay.
Portolà descended from Sweeney Ridge southeast down San Andreas Creek to Laguna Creek (now Crystal Springs Reservoirs) and the Filoli estate, and thence to the San Francisquito Creek watershed, ultimately camping from November 6–11, 1769 by a tall redwood later to be known as El Palo Alto.
Greer owned a home on the site that is now Town & Country Village on Embarcadero and El Camino Real. To the south of the Sotos, the brothers Secundino and Teodoro Robles in 1849 bought Rancho Rincon de San Francisquito from José Peña, the 1841 grantee.
The grant was bounded on the south by Mariano Castro's Rancho Pastoria de las Borregas grant across San Antonio Road.
This later became the Robles Rancho, which constitutes about 80% of Palo Alto and Stanford University today.
The Mexican War of Independence ending in 1821 led to Mexico becoming an independent country, though San Jose did not recognize rule by the new Mexico until May 10, 1825.
Mexico proceeded to sell off or grant much of the mission land.
In 1875, French financier Jean Baptiste Paulin Caperon, better known as Peter Coutts, purchased land in Mayfield and four other parcels around three sides of today's College Terrace – more than a thousand acres extending from today's Page Mill Road to Serra Street and from El Camino Real to the foothills. His fanciful brick 50-foot-tall brick tower near Matadero Creek likely marked the south corner of his property. founded Stanford University in 1891, dedicated to his son who died of typhoid fever at age 15 in 1884.
Leland Stanford started buying land in the area in 1876 for a horse farm, called the Palo Alto Stock Farm. In 1886, Stanford came to Mayfield, interested in founding his university there.Known for its 13 rowdy saloons, Mayfield rejected his requests for reform.This led him to drive the formation of a new Temperance Town with the help of his friend Timothy Hopkins of the Southern Pacific Railroad who bought 740 acres (3.0 km was proclaimed a local Heritage District during Palo's Alto Centennial in 1994.On September 23, 1856, the Crosby land was transferred to Sarah Wallis to satisfy a debt he owed her.Part of an 1890 map of northern Santa Clara county including all or part of the towns of University Park, Palo Alto (now College Terrace in Palo Alto), Mayfield.On April 10, 1853, 250 acres (1.0 km), comprising the present day Barron Park, Matadero Creek and Stanford Business Park, was sold for ,000 to Elisha Oscar Crosby, who called his new property Mayfield Farm.